Friday, January 22, 2010

An Affirmation Ceremony For Earth-Stewards...

A few years ago, I bought a ring that to me symbolizes the Earth. I wear it to remind me constantly of my relationship to the Earth. It is an artisan-signed Native American piece of art. The stone is turquoise set in silver. The stone is packed in the setting with real tobacco, so the ring must be kept dry to avoid the packing rotting and causing the stone to loosen. To me, this is a very spiritual symbol. Every time I put the ring back on my finger, I repeat the following affirmation:

"I am connected to, a protector of, protected by, and supplied by the Earth."

This serves as a reminder several times a day (I have to take it off and put it back on every time I wash my hands or do anything with water.) of the nature of my relationship with the Earth, and my duty to it as a human being.

This is a picture of the ring:



As you can see, the stone LOOKS like the Earth as viewed from space in a way.

I won't advocated that anyone run out and buy every piece of Native American turquoise jewelry available and repeat my exact words, but I will advocate people to find a ceremony of their own to add to their daily ritual. Find a ceremony, even a small one like this, that heightens your spiritual connection to and remembrance of your duty to the Earth. Let it remind you of the beauty of our home world, of why you should be grateful for it.

The Earth is what allows us to exist. The web of life on the Earth is a part of what allows us to exist. The Earth literally protects us, from the vacuum and radiation and utter cold of outer space, if nothing else.

Give yourself a tangible and spiritual reminder of why you should and do love this beautiful blue and green world.

Thank you for reading.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment